Laptops and hardware virtualization

On Feb 15, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> This I think is one of the things that differentiates VMware in that it
> can run without the need for virtualization support.

That's a misleading statement.  Almost all of the major players run without virtualization extensions.  VMware and Parallels use their own virtual CPU emulation libraries.  Xen, Linux KVM and VirtualBox use QEMU.  They just run better with the extensions enabled.

The exception is Windows Virtual PC in Windows 7, used for Windows XP Mode.  Windows Virtual PC requires virtualization extensions enabled or it refuses to start.

--Rich P.