CentOS magic to Active Directory login?

I've been trying to follow samba, centos, ldap, and other
documentation to try and get a CentOS 5 box to permit a user to log
into an existing Windows 200x Active Directory domain without
necessarily having the box as part of the domain. ? ?If it has to be
part of the domain, that is fine. ? The user shall have no local
account on the box - I want their active directory account to
automatically produce their account on the CentOS 5 box, likely with a
shell of bash.

None of the web pages I've visited thus far have helped me configure
my test C5 box to allow me to successfully at least log into the
console of my C5 box with my AD credentials.

Leads to proper configuration of krb5.conf, ldap config files,
smb.conf, nsswitch.conf, and whatever else would be most appreciated.

I do have have any control of the Windows domain controller other than
limited admin rights, which largely allows me to create computer
accounts. ?Thus, majority of the work must be with the CentOS 5, of
which I have root and can rebuild as often as needed.

Thanks for any help/leads.

Scott