CentOS magic to Active Directory login?

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Wow, for something that "just works," you wrote an awful lot of explanation
> after it.  ;-)  Don't take that too serious, I'm just poking fun.

The explanation was for how to do it _without_ Centrify, using Winbind.
Centrify is a proprietary product that doesn't use winbind at all (and
the instructions that I sent are not relevant at all to using Centrify).
If you want to do it with Centrify, it takes all of about 15 minutes,
and you'll never have to look at it again ;-).

> I've done this with likewise on ubuntu.  Here are all my installation notes:

We looked at Likewise before going to Centrify. We never actually used
it in a production server, though. We had some special considerations
for the products that we sell, as well as the domains that we need to
bind to (domain trust relationships, _huge_ domains on the order of 30k+
users and groups, etc), and the folks at Likewise kept making promises
and then never produced anything that worked for us. When we finally
told them to put-up-or-shut-up after months of waiting, they stopped
responding entirely, so we stopped asking, assuming that what they'd
promised was vaporware. Given we need an organization that's responsive
to our needs, and the needs of our 100s of customers in situations that
involve millions of dollars per day, we just couldn't go with an
organization like that. Mind you, their products may be just fine, but
we just can't stake _our_ reputation on that sort of company.

When we'd engaged with Centrify, they just made everything we need
happen. If it wasn't in the product, we'd ask, and they'd make it work
within days. I have to say that they are probably the most responsive,
professional software vendor I've ever worked with. They've probably
modified their product specifically for our needs 10 separate times
without making any bones about it.

Thanks,
Grant m.
--