noteworthy BLU postings

Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> I don't recall cc'ing the list... :-)

I'll blame the "Folder Account" Thunderbird extension I use. It selects
an identity, and sets the cc address automatically when replying to
emails in specified folders. Generally it makes it practical to use
per-list identities. But it can be a little challenging to remember to
"undo" the things it does when you reply off list. In this case I
remembered to switch the identity, but forgot to delete the cc. The list
manager conveniently rejects postings from non-subscribers.

> I have a mailbox called 'tech' where I save the technical mails I find most
> interesting.

Mail messages are so tiny compared to available storage these days, so I
just archive everything.

I use Thunderbird's tagging capability to tag notable messages for
future reference.

As I mentioned off-list (and on-list a long tine ago), I'd like to find
a Thunderbird extension that lets list readers tag and rate messages
collectively. Something that communicated back to a web service, so
future visitors looking at the BLU archives could find the best stuff.

>  $ for email in `egrep '^From:.*<' tech | awk -F\< '{print $NF}' | sed -e 's/>//g' | sort -u` ; do printf "%-30s " "$email:" ; egrep -c "From:.*$email" tech ; done | egrep -v 'bene@' | sort -k +2 -nr | head
> dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org:           16
> jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org:            15
> blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org:                    15
> kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org:  12
> sgw-Js/TV5QiDUWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org:                8
> gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org:                   8
> me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org:             7
> tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org:             6
> mattboston-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org:          6
> bblisa3-Z8efaSeK1ezqlBn2x/YWAg at public.gmane.org:         6

Most of the same people who I've tagged in my archive. For the past year
or so, looks like Dan (dsr) and Greg Rundlett are tied in my archives
for most tagged.

> It was interesting to go through my tech mailbox.  I save that stuff
> because it is interesting at the time, and I figure it would be useful
> later, but I almost never dig through it when I'm confronted with a
> problem.

It has gotten easier to go to Google rather than dig through ones own
archives, which are usually narrower in scope and often slower to
search. But sometimes the narrower scope is just what you're looking
for, and I find I mine my archives every few months.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA