ZFS woes (was Re: Backing up sparse files ... VM's and TrueCrypt ... etc)

On Feb 23, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> I give up.  If you insist on taking sides, be my guest.  But you're wrong.
>
> For the record, ZFS was not killed on OSX exclusively because of CDDL.  It
> was killed because of a combination of CDDL and Apple's proprietary license
> agreement.  Just like every other filesystem that has been killed on any

I call BS.  I cite such things as the FreeBSD kernel and the Mach microkernel, which together form XNU, the OS X kernel.  I cite the FreeBSD user space tools that form the rest of the Darwin OS that underpins OS X.  I cite Apache, the web server used for the Web Sharing service.  I cite KHTML and KJS, the backbone of Safari.  So I ask, "what proprietary license?"

--Rich P.