Comparable salaries for Linux people?

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> Have you checked out glassdoor.com?  I haven't used it for HR purposes,
> mostly to see how I compare to other people/positions in my own company (I
> don't have enough experience to usefully compare job-titles across
> companies, especially non-Fortune-500 companies).  It's company+job-title
> based, but since you know what companies your hotshots went to, you should
> be able to figure out ballpark values.
>
> Matt

also try http://www.salary.com/salary/index.asp
quick search by title/zip. output is curve by percentile

> On 02/23/2010 10:45 AM, Rich Braun wrote:
>> As y'all know I've often posted here looking for staff.  At the moment I have
>> 5 open positions (no, I am not looking for a ton of recruiter calls!).
>>
>> One of the reasons I have these openings is growth of the project.  I'm
>> posting about the other reason:  a non-stop onslaught of poaching by
>> high-paying firms in the area; I've lost 3 of my best people in the past 8
>> months.  All of them found greener pastures not far from my Kendall Square
>> office.

If they left based on pay, then this can mean at least 2 things (and or):

1) larger firms are hiring again after a period of freezes, reductions, etc.

2) Your HR dept. is low balling without noticing that the market has
changed, or is just wrong.

>> I'm starting to believe my HR department is getting tremendously incorrect
>> salary-comparison data and that 2010 is shaping up to be a banner year for
>> tech compensation at least for Linux people in greater Boston.  Where can I
>> turn for real data about what the likes of Microsoft, Google, MIT/Harvard,
>> Genzyme and all the others are paying people here in the Kendall Square and
>> route-128 area?  If my HR department has its head screwed on backwards, I want
>> to get them un-screwed.

There are many reasons for people leaving including pay, benefits,
growth potential, lifestyle changes, geography, job/company security,
and work environment.

I'd ask about all of them to figure out why you have a retention problem.