How to Virtualize Sparc Solaris 8

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 05:28:24PM -0500, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Working at semiconductor companies, it seems to be a common request, that we
> need to obtain some sparc solaris 8 machine to run a memory compiler.  In
> the past, I?ve solved this by begging local IT depts for their garbage, and
> build one of these machines.  I?d very much like to improve this.
>
> Does anybody know of any way to create a sparc solaris 8 machine modern day?
> Whether virtual or otherwise ... Preferably virtual.

I haven't done it, but QEMU should do it. qemu has sparc,
sparc32plus, and sparc64 architectures available, as well as
alpha, arm, arm-eb, m68K, mips, mips-el, ppc, ppc64, and sh4.

Grab a Solaris install CD and try it out.

http://tyom.blogspot.com/2009/12/solaris-under-qemu-how-to.html
might help.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.