OT: Printer Suggestions

In a large office with many different rooms and floors, email alerts are
necessary especially in the case where printers may be serviced by
someone in a computer room, like we had at HP. In a small office like
mine here, my desk is in the same room with the printer, so the alert
mechanism is if I see the red light or someone complains of kicks the
printer. I tried to send him back to Turkey, but he decided to become a
US citizen and work for a bank instead :-).

Based on the facility size in a relatively small office environment, a
high-end networkable printer is probably not feasible, but a relatively
low-end color laser would be very effective leaving the existing inkjets
on the desks until they break down or the employees decide they want the
space or don't want to wait for the ink jet to print. It is not only a
matter of cost, but also people's habits. Imposing a new idea will often
fail if the people don't buy into it. Certainly, an ink jet printer on
everyone's desk can be a real pain and expense. But, much depends on who
buys the ink. There are many reasons in favor of printers per person
especially if there is a lot of confidential information. When you print
to a common printer, the informaiton on the paper is not safeguarded.
Then there are a lot of "issues" that can come up when people just don't
want to change.