Problems with Linux and Ubuntu specifically

I read you paper and in general have no problems with what you are
saying. One issue with Flash Player is that some problems are not
exclusively Linux. One example is a local restaurant. The problem was
(IMHO bad programming on the part of the web development people)
interaction between addblock and flash that affected Firefox on RHEL
5.2, Ubuntu something before Karmic, as well as on Windows, and even a
problem on MSIE. What was even stranger was that there was different
issues on each platform. Essentially I think that Flash tends to be very
sensitive to stupid programming. The excuses I was getting from the
restaurant just indicated to me that the company they hired for web
programming had a serious recto-cranial inversion, and the guy in charge
(whose sister is married to a friend. His sister mentioned what a jerk
he was). So, the problem with Adobe Flash is that it is just buggy. The
problem with Gnash is that it will never be able to keep up.

I can't comment on the CD ripper directly, but many times community
maintained projects tend to go stale when the maintainers get tired of
it. A good OpenSource (or Free Software) product is one where there is
some commercial backing or some whay to attract maintainers. Some
college kids develop a great widget, but redirect their energy when they
find out they have to pay rent and diapers.

On 02/26/2010 02:03 PM, David Kramer wrote:
> I said a week or so ago that I was working on a blog post as what I
> thought the current problems with Linux, and Ubuntu specifically.  I ju=
st
> finished it, and would welcome comments and feedback.  It's too bad you=

> folks aren't more opinionated ;)
>
> http://www.thekramers.net/wordpress/index.php/20100223/linux-failures/
>
>  =20

--=20