Distributing Linux Software

On Mar 19, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Today, with our package managers help to establish dependencies, such as
> what versions of glibc or libstdc++ (or all dependent libraries). While
> I would prefer to build a product using shared objects, that product is
> subject to the issues you do describe below.

Indeed.  There is no One True Correct Answer that will Solve All of Your Release Engineering Problems.  If you ship shared libraries with your executables then you have one set of problems.  If you ship the whole thing as a single static executable then you have a different set of problems.  Choose your battles.  I for one would prefer to avoid fighting battles over library conflicts and dependencies so my preference is for static executables.

Regardless of which path you choose, make sure you thoroughly document your build platforms.  Worse than a customer having a problem is you being unable to run your own code because someone ran "apt-get dist-upgrade" on your build box behind your back.

--Rich P.