Drive disposal

Just a quick check of web sites, I found this site:
http://www.garner-products.com/hipaa-home.htm
"Hard drives that are non-operational still retain information on the
disc platter. Degaussing magnetically erases all of the information
contained on the disc platter, thereby making the hard drive safe for
disposal".
I would certainly double check the relevant HIPAA regulations.

On 03/22/2010 01:25 PM, Chandler, Scott wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Securely wiping "good" drives is acceptable under the right circumstanc=
es (method, number of passes) but when it comes to data which falls under=
 HIPAA regulations, a certificate of disposal (destruction) from a reputa=
ble company is a nice "get out of jail free" card.

> The larger problem is drives which are "dead". They won't spin up or ma=
ke that tell tale clunking sound. You still need to destroy them properly=
=2E

> My understanding is that degaussing alone is not acceptable.
>
> Scott

ous what options others use.  My main requirments are:

>> 1. Reasonable for low volume, 25- 50 drives every 6 months I would gue=
ss.

>> 2. Provide cerification that will pass hipaa requirments.  Basically c=
hain of custody, degausing and shreding.  We deal with a lot of pharma co=
mpanies, and would like to use similar standards.

>> 3. Resonably local, and allow drop off or local pick up options.
>>
>> My searching online has turned up SEM out of westboro, that meets all =
these.  And their site quotes a rate of $5 a drive for lots of 26-100.=20

>> Anyone have any advice on companies and costs?
>>

>>  =20
>>    =20
> If you're talking about drives that are still usable, you might do
> better with organizations or individuals (I'm one) who recycle machines=

> for low-income users. If HIPAA allows for the "secure erasure" of
> drives, then you could save at least some of the recycling cost by
> donating drives to these places.
>
> Bill
>

>  =20

--=20