SSD drives

> I think in the commercial realm tapes still have considerable utility
> for the foreseeable  future. They are still cheaper than HDD storage,
> they weigh less, and they are less fragile.  What medium is a suitable
> replacement for tape when historical backup schemes are involved?

The main reason to use tapes is because they're smaller, more durable, with
a longer shelf life than hard drives, and therefore easier and cheaper to
store permanently or for longer periods of time.

Also, there's no such thing as an automatic hard drive changing robot.  So
if your backup doesn't fit entirely onto a single hard drive or tape ... You
can still make a solution with hard drives ... but it becomes less clear
than the tape solution.