internet connection

tom metro writes:
> j. daniel moylan wrote:
>>> If that doesn't produce a better result, you probably have a
>>> driver that doesn't quite support the model of wifi chip you
>>> have...
>>
>> but how could that be?  if i go back to NetworkManager, it
>> makes the connection quite handily, so the driver's got to
>> be there ... right?

> That does seem like a reasonable assumption.

> Having not set up a wireless connection from the command
> line, what I wonder is how does the authentication
> credentials get specified? The GUI NetworkManager takes care
> of collecting and storing those. If it doesn't already store
> them in a place that the command line tools, which NM is
> layered over, already know how to access, that could be the
> problem. And even if they do know how to access the right
> spot, there may be a missing step to unlock the encrypted
> storage holding those credentials (key ring).

> Unfortunately you're attempting to perform a rare operation,
> as command line config is usually performed only on servers,
> and servers rarely use wireless interfaces.

> Have you studied the man pages for the various wireless
> command line tools Dan mentioned?

yup, i poured over all the man pages without enlightenment.
but then, i poked around in ubuntu forums, found nothing and
decided to make a post there.  a check in that process
uncovered a post with the clue for which i had been looking.
the NetworkManager "available to all users" button needs to
be pushed as well as the "connect automatically" button.
then the wireless comes up on boot.

additionally, /etc/init.d/networing restart and ifup now
work as expected (ifdown always did), using the data in
/etc/network/interfaces.

where this other vital data is stored remains a mystery, but
i'm tickled pink that everything now seems to work the way i
want it to.

thanks for all your suggestions.
ole dan

j. daniel moylan