Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:05:33 -0400
From: Fred R. Goldstein <fgoldstein-5XRnEhzT6fhXrIkS9f7CXA at public.gmane.org>
Subject: Moving beyond TCP/IP

In this past week's discussions, and in some earlier threads, I
have referred to an alternative protocol stack that is currently
under development as a long-term replacement for IP.  One of the
reasons I suggest we need common carriage below the IP layer is
to make room for it, rather than allow the vertically-integrated
ISPs to lock users in to IP.  This has obvious policy
implications.

RINA (Recursive InterNetwork Architecture) addresses the major
areas where today's Internet is weakest. These include
scalability, security, multihoming, multicasting, and mobiliity.
It also offers improved streaming capabilities and a technical
solution for ensuring the benefits of "neutrality" without the
many problems of other proposals.  By using the same basic layer
mechanism recursively, rather than have a fixed stack with
purpose-built protocols at each layer, it is fundamentally simple
yet very powerful. RINA can even coexist with IPv4 networks more
easily than IPv6, making its adoption more practical. An "All-IP
Network" would thus be a step in the wrong direction.

RINA was developed by John Day based upon the ideas in his book
Patterns in Network Architecture: A Return to Fundamentals.
(Hence the underlying concept is also called PNA.)  It is not a
product yet, but it's in the works.  We've finally completed a
rather long (18 pages) introductory article, explaining both the
motivations (why TCP/IP has run out of steam) and the solution.
Those who are interested can now read it here:
http://www.ionary.com/PSOC-MovingBeyondTCP.pdf

BTW, the Pouzin Society (the organization behind RINA) is meeting
at FutureNet
in Boston next month.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/