Clonezilla, Kleo Bare Metal Backup, Mondo Rescue

James Kramer wrote:
> 2. I am planning to make a backup copy of the system using Clonezilla
> so that in the unlikely event that something happens while trying to
> install Debian, I can restore the original system.  Is Clonezilla the
> best choice for this?

I recently tried out Kleo Bare Metal Backup (http://www.kleobackup.net/)
as an alternative to Clonezilla, and I prefer Kleo's UI.

But both tools are wrappers for partimage, and partimage has numerous
weaknesses as a backup tool:

-It has no automation to backup multiple partitions.

-The MBR/partition table backup functionality doesn't seem to work all
that well. Aside from the confusing UI for MBR restoration, I kept
getting a nonsensical "device busy" error. Plan B was to dd the first
512 bytes and use "sfdisk -d" to save the partition table. But when I
tested a restore to a raw disk, the drive wasn't bootable. I ended up
having to use dd to capture all sectors up to the start of the first
partition.

-partimage, being a partition tool, provides no means to exclude known
disposable files from a backup.

-partimage apparently provides no means to verify a backup.

Mondo Rescue used to be the tool I turned to to address all of these
weaknesses, but it seems to be suffering from some quality issues
lately, and I wasn't able to get it running under 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04.
Also, due to a different design philosophy, unlike these other tools it
lacks a pre-built live CD, which can make it trickier to get working.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA