gnome, ubuntu 10.4

jerry writes:
> Normally on the Gnome menus, screen saver preferences are in
> System/preferences. I don't have my laptop online. Years ago
> when I used to have this problem I would log in through ssh.

> I usually do not "lock screen when screen saver is active".
> This is what brings up the password box.

ha!  the problem was that my laptop is an asus netbook, with
limited vertical space, so the screensaver preferences was
not accessable.  i didn't even see it.  i accessed the main
menu and was able to move screensaver up enough to be able to
access it, and uncheck the "lock screen when screen saver is
active" box.  one more reason i hate gui's.

thanks for your help,
ole dan

j. daniel moylan
84 harvard ave