Comcast encrypts extended basic channels

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> What I find on NewEgg are MCE remotes + receivers. No IR transmitters.
>
> Amazon has this:
> http://www.amazon.com/Kinamax-Blaster-Remote-Control-Signal/dp/B0012BU3DU
>
> with mediocre reviews. Would need to do some digging to see if LIRC
> supports it.

This is the one I got (mentioned on mythtv-users):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121002

No longer available at Newegg.  In general, there seem to be a number
of devices that use the same chipset (lsusb):

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 1784:0008 TopSeed Technology Corp.

It REQUIRES a version of lirc from CVS in order to function as an IR
blaster at all.   Even the current release (0.6.8) doesn't
support it.  Jarod Wilson did the changes to make it work.
Unfortunately, there might be problems with nVidia USB chipsets which
may be why it won't work on my BE, but does work on my Intel chipset
systems.   (This still doesn't explain why I can't get it to work with
my USB PCI card (lspci):

01:06.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 62)
01:06.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 62)
01:06.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 65)

> Odd. You could always try running it through a hub
> (ideally, powered), but that's not likely to help.

Worth a shot.  I was going to move the addon card to one of my other
machines to see if the problem moved with
the card or was something peculiar to the software on the BE.   Trying
a USB hub will be easier then opening up two machines.

Bill Bogstad