NAS devices

On 05/31/2010 11:42 AM, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

 > If you are looking for performance, you should think about a RAID 10.
 > Raid 5 in Linux is problematic, since resonstruction is so unreliable.
 > (See http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/linux-nas-raid.html ). Our experience
 > is that RAID 0 with two drives is twice as fast as RAID 1, while we
 > haven't tried 10, I don't see why it shouldn't do as well. We haven't
 > found any other way to improve Linux as a NAS host but would love to
 > learn of one. We haven't found that 10,000 rpm drives or 3ware
 > controllers made much of a difference for our large seqential access
 > files. Random access may be different - you don't say what interests you.

 > A homemade server has the advantage that you can update the OS, add
 > software such as rsync, and replace the hardware, all without the
 > permission of the vendor. I would be very suspicious of the willingness
 > of Netgear to allow me to do any of that.
 >
 > You might think that Netgear support would be valuable, but I would
 > expect that should something go wrong with, for example, the
 > motherboard, they would ask you to return the entire device for
 > replacement, and your data would be gone. Of course you have a backup,
 > but the restore will take several days and you will lose the changes
 > since the last backup. If you have a homemade system you can buy a
 > replacement MB at Microcenter and be up with all your data in a few
hours.

On 05/31/2010 01:26 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
 > Based on recent experience with disk failures, I've had very good
luck with 3Ware RAID controllers in RAID 1 and RAID 5 configurations in
Linux file and Xen servers.

Thanks for the responses. A couple of other things:
Adding the SATA card is a possibility. All my other servers in the rack
are SCSI system (Intel Whitebox, but they have onboard SATA controllers
and I have 1 box rigged and I could upgrade it with a SATA backplane).

I just want to add that our products are very memory intensive. I think
the HP P800 SAS/SATA card could be useful. Additionally, I need to check
the performance differences. The best performance would be a RAID0 that
has striping and no mirroring. I'm very wary of RAID5 since we've been
burnt on this.

One consideration is that I have 2 unused IA64 boxes that I could use as
a dedicated NFS server. I didn't think of this earlier. Our products
currently don't support IA64 as it's architecture is too slow (we spent
a year at HP porting and benchmarking). One is an HP the other is an
Intel whitebox.

Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846