MySQL on Ubuntu Woes

Hi Guys,

I'm stumped... I've spent 3 days working on this and just can't seem to find
a solution :(

I can't get the mysqld command to start automatically.  When I try to run
mysqld I get an error about the following missing file:
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

So, I create the /var/run/mysqld directory (which is not present on boot)
and set the permissions and then I can start mysqld.  The problem is that
when I reboot the /var/run/mysqld directory is missing.  So I wrote the
following script:

root at SJ-MA-LX-Nagios:~# cat /etc/init.d/mysqld
sudo mkdir /var/run/mysqld
sudo chmod 777 /var/run/mysqld
sudo /usr/sbin/mysqld &

when I manually evoke the script all works without a problem.  Without the
script things don't work too well.

How can I get the script to run at boot?  I've created a symbolic link in
rc3-rc5.d.

Thanks in advance for any help!

chris