CentOS 5.5 - kernel panic - Help!

On 06/04/2010 11:11 AM, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
> On the other hand, the parts are standard, so you can replace them at low
> cost. I would start by swapping out memory, then using a pci card for
> ethernet. Those are simple to replace, and I have found that both can be
> the source of intermittant kernel panics. If neither of those work, then
> the next replaceable part is the MB, but that is more work.
>
> We have some integrated systems and some home-made. I wouldn't say one is
> easier to deal with than the other, just different. In particular, a small
> shop such as ours will not get help with intermittant errors such as this
> one from a large vendor, no matter what the service contract says. This is
> especially true if the OS isn't Windows. In many cases I have found that
> it is less work to fix a system than it is to convince a vendor that
> something is wrong.

I think the first thing to do if not done already is to run a complete
memory diagnostic. I would wait on swapping out memory. Normally a
memory diagnostic will generally uncover memory issues. Sometimes bad
memory can cause some very weird things to occur.  Both Mother Boards
and power supplies can cause some problems. In my experience a long time
ago, I had a relatively new system that had some intermittent issues. I
brought it back to the place I bought it, and it ended up to be a mother
board. More recently I had some very strange issues, such as hard drives
going offline unexpectedly. I reseated and replaced the cables which
made a difference for a while, and I finally replaced the power supply
and that made all the difference in the world.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Boston Linux and Unix