Internet service

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On 06/06/2010 12:54 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> We currently have Speakeasy, which has excellent reliability.
>> Unfortunately, 1500/368 isn't exactly cutting edge speed any more, and
>> ever since Best Buy bought them they seem much less interested in
>> providing home service.
>>
>> We're not wired for cable, and when we looked into getting service, it
>> turned out that it would be rather expensive; they'd have to do a fair
>> bit of work since the closest cable run is a few hundred feet away
>> across an intersection.
>>
>> I'd like to run at least an ssh (for remote login) and anon ftp server
>> (for occasional low volume use).  I certainly want faster speeds,
>> particularly uplink (to upload photos, primarily -- uploading 700 MB
>> of photos is dreadfully slow and I just upgraded from a 20D to a 7D).
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> FIOS has pretty good uplink speed.  Pretty much every provider other than
> speakeasy has "no-server" clauses in their TOS, but the two services you
> mention are easy to work around by running those services on a non-standard
> (high) port (sometimes they'll port scan low-numbered ports looking for
> "servers").
>
> Running ssh on a non-standard port isn't a bad idea even if you are allowed
> to run servers.

This is a topic I feel strongly about, and have let this list know about
it.  At least every few months there are cries and wails on this list
from people who are upset because their internet providor had the
audacity to prevent them from doing things they signed a contract saying
they wouldn't do.

The simple (and only slightly more expensive) option is to get
business-class service.  For a little more money, you have the right to
do whatever you want with your bandwidth, and (usually) at least one
static IP address, which makes everything else simpler.

One does not forward the cause of open source and free software by
signing contracts and breaching them.  Find a company that offers the
service you need and pay for it.  Both Comcast and Verizon offer this.
I went from SpeakEasy to Comcast Business Internet (and Business Phone)
and we're very happy with it.  I don't live in fear of my town being
renumbered or ports blocked.