CentOS 5.5 - kernel panic - Help!

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Tim Callaghan <tmcallaghan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Jarod/All,
>
> Thanks for the advice, I'll try and get something hooked up so I can
> see the entirety of the kernel panic.
>
> In the meantime, what are the potential implications of running with
> the NMI Watchdog turned off?

Data corruption. You could get a legit NMI that doesn't get handled,
and some hardware is left in a funky state, but the machine keeps
going and your data gets corrupted. Or the machine might simply hang.
But its possible things will work just fine, fsvo fine. If I'm
thinking clearly, upstream kernels don't enable the nmi watchdog by
default, as it does occasionally trip on a false positive. However,
given your report that the same hardware was locking up w/ubuntu, I'm
guessing these aren't false positives. That's assuming its not enabled
by default on ubuntu though, I'm not sure if it is or not, I just know
that Red Hat explicitly decided to enable it by default for its
enterprise distributions.

For more fun reading:

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt