suggestions on finding experienced sysadmins?

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Ryan Pugatch <rpug-vYTEC60ixJUAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any suggestions on where to find experienced sysadmins looking for jobs?
> ?I have sent out emails here and bblisa but I've yet to find the right
> candidate for my position.

I took a look at the job postings you posted here and on the BBLISA
list.   Reading between the lines, you have gotten
some (lots of?) applications; but you haven't found the perfect fit.
A couple of possible reasons:

1. It's less and less common that you will find sysadmin/netadmin
generalists.   There is just too much to know.  You might want to
consider candidates who is strong in one area and appears like they
could learn what is required in the other.  My impression is that it
is only in small shops where this still happens and those kind of
places often have smaller budgets and
don't buy Cisco.

2.  If you aren't already, consider applicants who have extensive
experience with similar products/software rather then the exact ones
you are using.  (e.g. Juniper, HP, etc. network hardware rather then
Cisco)

Good Luck,
Bill Bogstad