suggestions on finding experienced sysadmins?

I agree with Scott to a degree.
First, if you want someone who has all the skills in place now, the
contract route (straight contract or contract to hire) is probably the
best way to get someone on board quickly. Another advantage is that a
contractor can be quickly dismissed if he/she is not what you thought
you were getting. If you are looking for someone long term, then look at
the person's potential for growth.

One disadvantage you have right now is that there may be some qualified
folks who ordinarily would submit a resume, but may want to hold onto
what they have now. There are probably a lot of people out there that
are simply not looking at all until the economy improves.

Another possibility what you may not be finding the right candidates is
that your job req might be too specific. Or possibly, the job you are
offering simply does not appeal to enough of the right people.

On 06/10/2010 01:59 PM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> With all due respect to Rich's comments, another avenue is contract to
> hire.    This can give you the flexibility to try someone, no strings
> attached.  If they like you and you like them, after x amount of time
> (maybe a year), give them the option to convert to direct hire.   If
> they just are not working out, say goodbye to them and solicit the
> position again among agencies.
>
>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix