From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Jerry Feldman
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 10:21 AM
To: Boston Linux and Unix
Subject: rack mount KVM over IP

A couple of years ago, I asked online for some recommendations for KVMs for our rack. At the recommendation of our IT people, we acquired a Rose Electronics Ultraview Remote 16 port single user KVM over IP. During that period of time we had a lot of issues with it, such as having to reboot it almost daily. A few times it would not even reboot, and I sent it back to Rose. This last time, I could not revive it, and now they want to charge me $650, and we are telling them to stick it.

What I would like to get is a KVM over IP 16-port using CAT5 cables, 1 or 2 users. All the systems in the rack are USB, and our rack-mounted keyboard/monitor has PS/2 cables. Essentially our use is reasonably low, but it is a real pain have to bring a monitor, keyboard and mouse into the computer room. All our systems in the rack are Linux.
While I would prefer to be able to access the KVM from Linux, all we really need is local access as well as remote access from Windows XP.
I'm looking for stability because the computer room is tiny and shared by a number of other companies.

JABR's company uses an Aten KVM. The CS1716i <http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pcid=2005010513171002&psid=20060411131311002&pid=20100104165819001&layerid=subClass1>
seems to meet my specs. I do note that this uses custom cables with DB9 connectors. This is ok, since we are talking about connecting a single rack. I'm not exactly sure what model JABR's company has.

I do want to give my boss a choice because he is limited to buying from
1 distributor via PO. I'm primarily interested in personal experience.
There are many companies that offer similar products, like Raritan and Avocent. Belking makes them too, but I don't like Belkin's products.

Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846