looking for an older Mac notebook

Mark wrote:
> I've tried Linux with them in the past and it was really painful.
> .... Once they "switch" to a new platform, they may be
> more willing to accept learning new ways of doing things, once that
> happens, they may come to see Windows on their desktop as the problem
> that it is. Then, I'll try Ubuntu.

This is a recurring theme: "If only my {friends | relatives | random
strangers} could see how great this is, they'd drop Windows and join
us." A while back I penned some thoughts in response to a similar
thread on another LUG list:
________ wrote:
> This year the frustration level got so high, it provoked a
> reaction. "I'll fix your computer under one condition. I get to
> replace Windows with Linux." Two of them took me up on it.

Beware unintended consequences, unless your users are sophisticated
enough to try GNU/Linux all by themselves. "Ordinary users" aren't
worth the bother.

You know the folks I mean--maybe they've caught on that there's no
"Any Key" and they've figured out the CD tray isn't a cupholder, but
they still refer to any and all automated systems as "The
Computer". They open email attachments. They spread chain letters
warning of viruses. They print all their emails and webpages on
paper. And they know you're interested in "Linux" so every time they
stumble across some lame article that even mentions "Linux", they
forward it to lucky you.

They don't want to learn anything--they want it to work without any
effort or care on their parts, even despite their own carelessness,
with no concern that this means an enormous amount of bother for
someone else.

But the temptation to evangelize is hard to resist, until you've gone
through it a couple of times and learned that, when you give GNU/Linux
to someone who didn't ask for it:

1. You are now their 24-hour on-call help desk. Whaddja expect? Who
  else do they know? Didja think they'd crack a HOWTO or a manpage?

2. From now on, every problem they have, be it a slow website, an
  empty ink cartridge, an unplugged cable, a buggy application,
  whatever, the culprit is no longer "The Computer". Now it's "Linux
  is broken!" "I can't get this Linux to work!" "I don't understand
  this Linux!" "This Linux you gave me is so frustrating!"

3. For any application, "buggy" or "broken" means "not the way I
  remember the Windows version".

4. Eventually, they will hate you for doing this to them. And you'll
  hate them right back.

These folks are happy the way they are. Grousing about their Windows
problems is like bitching about their hometown football team. They
don't do anything really important with their computers. They don't
know what you're talking about when you ask if they're still using
Internet Explorer--to them, it's just "the Internet" or "the Web" and
their eyes glaze over when you say "Firefox" or "firewall".

As long as they can still surf, read their spam and play their games,
they're effectively virus-proof, simply because they don't notice or
care. When "The Computer" gets too slow or unstable, the solution is
obvious: it's "getting old" and needs to be replaced!

Giving these folks GNU/Linux helps neither them nor us. Leave them
be. They sustain a huge market that gives us all cheaper, faster, more
abundant hardware.

Today, I control my evangelistic impulses. I set an example with my
own practice, and smile tolerantly when they gripe about the
consequences of their choices. If asked how I cope, I'll mention that
there are whole classes of problems we Free Software users don't have,
and leave it at that. The rare bird who is actually interested gets my
full attention and, these days, a nice Kubuntu live CD.

Ted "found my happy place" Ruegsegger

ps. Yeah, I will install firewall routers for friends/relatives, no
questions asked. Kinda like clean needles or condoms--that helps us
all.

Mark finished with:
> Then, I won't have any more tech support calls.

:D :D :D
I love the refreshing innocence of young people.

Seriously, if you don't want to do Windows tech support, point out to
your sister that, since you no longer use Windows yourself (assuming
that's true), your ability to support her properly is diminishing with
each new release and service pack. Look up local folks who service
Windows PCs for a living, and suggest your sister try a few out until
she finds someone who meets her needs cost-effectively. That worked
fine for me with several relatives (who also live far away, which
probably made it easier, especially since the local Windows guy makes
house calls).

Failing that, surely she has other relatives or acquaintances more
current with Windows problems than you or I, right?

Ted