best practices using LVM and e2fsck

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 01:28:23PM -0400, Stephen Goldman wrote:
>     Do other admin schedule down time (dismount LVM drives ) to run fsck

No.  What's the point?

If the filesystem is marked dirty, then fsck it.

If it's not marked dirty, then why are you fscking it?

Are you worried that flaky hardware might be silently corrupting your
filesystem?  If that's a serious concern, then you should spend money on
better hardware and regularly test your backups.  Running fsck periodically
isn't going to benefit you much as far as I can see.

I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

-ben

--
nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher
than you think.                                     <benjamin disraeli>