VMWare server questions

On 07/12/2010 12:23 PM, Mark Woodward wrote:
> I have had problems with various VMWare installations, but then again,
> I'm an Ubuntu user. VMWare's network mapping is, IMHO, overly complex
> just getting connections through to the Windows VM is a PITA.
>
> I don't have enough information to say either way what your specific
> problem is, but I have a similar setup where I run VMs to provide
> services. I am using libvirt and KVM (QEMU) and I am, as we speak,
> compiling Windows code on an XP SP2 VM on my x86_64 system.
>
> Using libvirt connections to VM's console default to VNC which is
> excellent in a networked service environment, but suck for games.
> RedHat makes two para-ritualized drivers for network and disk. And
> setting up a new machine is trivial through virt-manager.
>
> If you don't solve your problems with VMWare and aren't stuck with a
> specific legacy VM, I'd switch from VMWare to libvirt/KVM. I did it
> myself when VMWare wouldn't compile on Ubuntu, and don't regret my
> decision at all.
My first clue that VMWare was ok came from our IT guy in NewYork who was
able to connect with MSIE, and then Derek Atkins' post. The specific
issue is with Firefox 3.6, and was solved with Firefox 3.5. The reason
for VMWare and not KVM is that our IT guy in NY is setting up a Windows
2008 server so we can run the product from the company we just
purchased. We are expecting to get a new server with an Intel Nehelem
8-core chip later this summer, but this is a last minute interim.

BTW: Before I posted the message, I had read some stuff on the Ubuntu
forum regarding certificates and restarting VMWare, but nothing relating
to the Firefox version.

--