CLAM anti virus

At some point in the past I decided to start running clam av on my
personal computers.  Aside from taking about 10 seconds to startup, and
occasionally telling me that a new version is available, I haven't been
aware of it.

Is it just a feel-good daemon or is it a first line defense against
Trojans, malware, viruses, and what-not that I've simply been lucky not
to have encountered?

For the record, my windows partitions all run Norton Internet Security,
and it has been years since it complained about anything worse than
tracking cookies.
--
	Jerry Natowitz
	j.natowitz (at) rcn.com