[Position-available] UNIX SysAdmin in Boston

UNIX Systems Administrator - Northeastern University CCIS

= Who Are You? =

This position is part of the Northeastern University College of Computer
and Information's Systems Group, a team of individuals that take great
pride in creating and administering the state-of-the-art computing and
networking infrastructure crucial to our College's success. Our
College's infrastructure supports a 2300+ user population including
faculty, staff, students and alumni. Our computing environment is optimized
for the teaching and research needs of the College and as a result we run
many of our own core services (e.g. electronic mail) that must integrate
well with the resources provided and supported by the central IS
organization. It is common for us to be in the vanguard of new technology
at Northeastern University.

= Who Do You Want to Hire? =

We're looking for a UNIX Systems administrator to join our team in a full-
time position onsite. This person's primary responsibility will be to develop,
administer, and constantly reinvent a sophisticated UNIX-based
computing/networking infrastructure that includes server, cluster, desktop,
service and direct user support components. This includes things like:
complex software configuration, installation and integration; construction
of tools to automate management of the environment and the performance of
advanced troubleshooting as required. This person works with others in team
both as part of the construction process and in subsequent training of
those team members so they may share in the day-to-day administration
within this sphere. She or he directly communicates with our user
population (i.e. faculty, staff, students and alumni) when appropriate.

= What Do I Have to Know/Be? =

Advanced knowledge/experience in UNIX-related technologies, general system
administration knowledge and experience, general computer security
knowledge, programming skills related to system administration automation,
excellent communication skills (for user support), architectural thinking
and professional planning all required.

Minimum of 3-5 years of experience with UNIX systems administration (server
and desktop) in medium to large computing infrastructures, preferably with
some experience in a research-intensive environment is required.
Bachelor???s degree in technology related major or the equivalent
experience required.

= Kinda Vague, Got Any Buzzwords? =

We're looking for someone who has experience with Ubuntu/Debian Linux,
Zimbra, config management tools like puppet, bcfg2, cfengine3, etc, the
usual set of open source service daemons (exim, BIND, OpenLDAP, you know
the drill...), Perl (or Python/Ruby) and Bourne shell, NetApp filers, etc.

= Why I would Want To Work There?

It's an academic environment with all of the significant perks that entails
(e.g. tuition reimbursement after working here for a bit so you could get a
degree, casual dress and happy work environment, working with students,
training/conferences, etc.) For a list of benefits, see
http://www.northeastern.edu/hrm/benefits/index.html. We're also really into
seeing what we can do to further the field of system administration (do
research, present papers at conferences, write books, mentor student
sysadmins, etc.). We work in a lovely building on Huntington Ave in Boston,
MA accessible via two different MBTA lines. Pay range is ~$65k.

= Sounds Great, How Do I Apply? =

_Candidates Only_, please send your resume or any questions you have about
the job to sysadm-hire [at] ccs.neu.edu. Email is a much better way to get in
touch, but if you need to talk a live human, you can call David Blank-Edelman
at 617-373-5118.

We are not looking for contact from recruiters at this time (that address
will go away after this candidate is hired, so please don't add it to your
contact list even if your horoscope says that some day you'll find the
perfect candidate for us).

= Thanks! =

Thanks for taking the time to read this ad and consider working at CCIS.