ubuntu upgrade

dan ritter wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 03:34:43PM -0400, j. daniel moylan wrote:
>> jerry feldman wrote:

>>> Did that fix the problem
>>
>> not knowing how to reconfigure X, i did an R&R -- it did NOT
>> fix the problem.  the login gui looks fine but when i log
>> in, i get the blank screen with a bit of twitching at the
>> top.
>>
>> i need some help in reconfiguring X, if indeed that's the
>> next thing to try, or another suggestion if it isn't.
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> If I am correct that the CF50 has a Radeon 7500, start with the
> radeon driver, and if that doesn't work, try the ati driver.

hmmm -- i tried that, but got no interaction indicating a
way to select drivers.  what haven't i done that i should?

i'm annoyed that the manual i downloaded from panasonic
gives no clue as to the video card.

jerry feldman writes further:

> After the R&R did you update the system, or just boot into
> what was installed from the CD.

i hadn't, but now i have -- same result.

> We really need more information as to what graphic chip is
> on the MB.  It is very possible that the driver being used
> is the incorrect driver.  Looks like the chip is an AIT
> radeon mobility 7500. You may want to install the latest
> fglrx driver. The following web site is not 100% what you
> are describing, but worth a try:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/197135
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

this CF50 has been running ubuntu with no issues for every
ubuntu verion since 7.04.  what's going on?  i have another
CF 50 still running ubuntu 9.10 quite successfully (as was
this one).  where's the driver and how do i get it to run
on 10.04?

tia,
ole dan

j. daniel moylan