ubuntu upgrade

Absolutely right,

I should have said that this is how xorg 7.2 works, but I figured one of
the venerable patrons of this list would have beat me to the punch.

The detection is very dependent on yourvideo chipset, most screens and
monitors have the i2c information available, but if your using a driver
which is unable to active those features in the card (most notably the
old nv driver now defunct)

Martin,