Automount question

On Aug 9, 2010, at 5:39 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> In the old style automount, you had a directory which was managed by
> automount client, and upon access, it would attempt to mount the
> subdirectories.

Subdirectories (mount points) are only mounted when you attempt to access them individually, not when you access the parent automount directory.

> You already know the directory name.  (I always found it annoying, when I
> "ls /mnts" I saw nothing in the old automount, and then I would "ls
> /mnts/something" and I'd see the contents of something.  So there was no way
> to know the list of all the options of what could possibly be accessed in
> the directory /mnts)

You just need to run autofs with BROWSE_MODE enabled. I think it used to require adding '--ghost' to your auto.master entry. Then you'll see the directories before they're mounted.

Best,
Ian