Android and Linux

David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Richard Pieri wrote:
>> IMAP access.  Contact sync is still through iTunes -- and that's the
>> point: you must use iTunes.  You can't full sync or backup without
>> iTunes, and that in turn locks you into managing contacts, music,
>> videos photos, etc., with Apple's tools.
>
> That's not inherently a bad thing, it just doesn't work for you.
> Android doesn't sync with any program on any operating system, and
> requires you to send every detail of who you know and where you'll be to
> a humongous company.  That doesn't work for me.

No, it doesn't.  My HTC EVO is *not* tied to google for any of my
contacts, emails, calendar etc.

How did I get around this, you might ask?

I set up a Zarafa + z-push server and told my phone to sync there.
Zarafa is an exchange replacement for Linux and z-push provides the
"ActiveSync" interface that HTC/Android uses to sync to Exchange.

Voila, I maintain all my contact data locally.

If you already use Outlook then Zarafa is easy!!!  You just copy your
data over and voila, there it is!  Works like a charm.  Indeed, this is
how I migrated my contacts and calendar from my old Palm device to my EVO!

> You are wrong on some points, though.  I manage my contacts and calendar
>  through Outlook when I don't do it right on my phone.

-derek

       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available