Oracle Sues Google Over Android

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:38:50AM -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Yeah.  In one of his interviews, James Gosling mentioned that the Oracle
> attorneys' eyes lit up over the whole Java/Dalvik thing.  Sounds like
> Oracle has been planning this since it took over Sun.

James mentioned it on his website actually:

http://nighthacks.com/roller/jag/entry/the_shit_finally_hits_the

which appears to be down right now, but it's still in the Google cache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Op2Gt5L2cPgJ:nighthacks.com/roller/jag/entry/the_shit_finally_hits_the+http://nighthacks.com/roller/jag/entry/the_shit_finally_hits_the&hl=en&client=firefox-a&gl=us&strip=1

> This, combined with the Open Solaris stunt last week spells an end to
> open source contributions to Oracle and quite possibly the end of Java.

It does sound like OpenSolaris will get the axe, although that hasn't been
officially announced.

I was at LinuxCon last week, and Chris Mason gave a talk on Btrfs.  He and
the other Btrfs developers seem very much commited to improviing the linux
I/O stack and making their filesystem competitive with ZFS, and they are
all employed by Oracle.

I don't think Oracle hates open source or anything; they just seem like
they're hypercompetitive and unwilling to give away their most valuable
technologies for free.

Miguel de Icaza's post on the Oracle-vs-Google thing is good:

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2010/Aug-13.html

-b

--
if you can't be just, be arbitrary.             <william s. burroughs>