Oracle Sues Google Over Android

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>>
>> Just remember which one oracle was involved in first. ?They were the primary
>> contributors to BTRFS since before they even thought about acquiring sun,
>> and they continue to be the primary contributors to BTRFS now.
>
> Oracle invested a lot in btrfs because it didn't have a world-class operating system with a world-class high-performance file system to call its own. ?Investing in Linux made sense because Oracle needed Linux and btrfs. ?Today, Oracle has that world-class operating system with that world-class high-performance file system in Oracle Solaris. ?Oracle doesn't need btrfs or Linux today.
>
> Show me the money. ?If there's money to be had, Oracle will kill btrfs just as it's killing the Open Solaris community and as it is suing Google.

Oracle can't kill btrfs. They can stop paying people to work on it,
but the second that happens, I bet Chris Mason leaves and gets hired
on my Google or Red Hat or someone similar. Also, Oracle isn't the
only company putting resources behind btrfs. I'm pretty sure its Red
Hat's Josef Bacik who is #2 in commits to the btrfs code.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org