Free vs. pay versions

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:38:09PM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> So I will pose this question:  does anyone here use SLES?  What makes you opt
> to pay for it rather than use the open version?
>
> As for "support".  I've never wanted it for an O/S, though indeed my career
> started with a support job at one of the big O/S vendors.  Just my bias, I
> guess.  The type of support I want comes from archives at opensuse.org,
> packman, rpmfind, etc.  And sometimes this email list.  ;-)

We use SLES on our database servers, because our customers like
us to use Oracle, and Oracle wants one of a limited set of OS if
you want support from them, and we had to make a decision at a
time when it was not clear what Red Hat was doing (just prior to
the RHEL changeover). The choices were RH, SLES, and
TurboLinux... so that's what we ended up with.

If we change databases, we'll likely stop using SLES and go to
Debian, which we use on most other machines.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.