Help with Linux offline cached credentials on a Windows domain

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 09:00:46AM -0400, Mark Komarinski wrote:
> On 08/26/2010 08:53 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> >> From: Dan Ritter [mailto:dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org]

> >> I really hate this model for software distribution.
> >
> > Is it different, in some way, from any of the following?
> > * Run this exe.  You must have admin privs.
> > * Install this rpm as root.
> > * sudo yum install ...
> > * sudo pkg-get ...
>
> Yes.
>
> I can query a package to find out what is installed and where on the
> filesystem things are located.  I can also uninstall a package easily
> using the same command as any other package on my system instead of
> hunting for a custom script or having to do it by hand and risk leaving
> cruft around.

You can also validate a package's hash, possibly validate a
signature for the repository, retrieve the source and
dependencies, build the package yourself, compare with the
binaries as shipped...

...automatically install dependencies, check for conflicts,
apply local policy...

There are worse things than "Download. chmod +x. Run.", but the
only one which pops into my head right now is "Run this wget
piped into a sudo shell".

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.