Fwd: Re: ejabberd and pam debugging?

On 08/27/2010 12:11 AM, Ian Levesque wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2010, at 10:42 PM, Chris Ampenberger wrote:
>
>  =20
>> When I use pidgin to login with a valid user and password, I get the
>> following in syslog:
>>
>>    Aug 26 22:34:35 sokrates unix_chkpwd[3351]: check pass; user unknow=
>>    Aug 26 22:34:35 sokrates unix_chkpwd[3351]: password check failed
>> for user (whoever)
>>    Aug 26 22:34:35 sokrates epam: pam_unix(xmpp:auth): authentication
>> failure; logname=3D uid=3D109 euid=3D109 tty=3D ruser=3Dwhoever rhost=3D=
  user=3Dwhoever

>> I know user name and password are correct. Any suggestions, how to
>> troubleshoot that best?
>>    =20
> Are you trying to login using <username>@<domain.name> or just using yo=
ur username?

> We're using LDAP auth over here, so I may not be very helpful re: your =
PAM config issue.

> ~irl
>

>  =20
I found it. Either I messed up or there is a bug in gentoo's ebuild. The
owner ship on the epam helper process was jabber.root instead of
root.jabber. Therefore the suid process was not running as root and
didn't have access to /etc/shadow. I corrected it once, but it didn't
take, because I didn't realize that it was running as a daemon.