Mono, gcj, java, c++, what?

On Aug 29, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> Oracle is suing google, because there is an opportunity for oracle to make a
> quick buck this way.  How does that lead to oracle stopping java being
> available for free, etc?  It doesn't.  It's a load.

With the suit against Google, Oracle is demonstrating that profit is more important to the company than community relations and good will.  With the closing up of the OpenSolaris community, Oracle is again demonstrating that profit is more important to the company than community relations and good will.  Given these two examples, I would be wary about contributing to Oracle's remaining open projects like Open JDK 7 and ZFS.  I can't be the only one.  And that's how projects stagnate: the community stops contributing.

It is not a load.  It is a very real possibility.

> Opensolaris was formerly called solaris express.  In fact, it's still
> officially called solaris express.

Incorrect.  OpenSolaris is the name of the now-defunct developer community around Sun's open source operating system effort.  It is also the name of the open source operating system developed by that community.  Solaris Express (officially "Software Express for Solaris") is a binary distribution published by Sun built on that community effort.  Solaris Express Community Edition is a binary distribution built using the same code base as Solaris Express less anything proprietary that Sun may have added to its own binary release.  While the two names are intertwined, OpenSolaris and Solaris Express are not, and never have been, the same thing.

--Rich P.