What filesystem for large thumbdrive

On 08/27/2010 06:59 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> The top speed I've ever seen over USB2 is 34 MB/s, to an
> external hard disk.
>
> The top speed I've ever seen writing to a thumb drive is about
> 12 MB/s.
>
> It looks like you're getting roughly 1 MB/s, which is either a
> defective thumb drive... or a USB 1.0 interface. I would check
> for that.

I checked using lsusb and it said 480.  In my final process I was able
to encrypt the file (using openssl) and write it to the thumbdrive in
about four hours.  To make that bearable, I ripped that part out of my
backup script and made it standalone, so independent of when the backup
was taken, I can have this happen overnight or start it before dinner or
whatever.  But when it's done I have a tiny thumbdrive with an encrypted
file backup and encrypted database dump, which is what I need.

I wish it wouldn't take so long, but I can live with it.  Given I
verified the port speed, it must just be a slow thumb drive.  It makes
sense that a 16GB drive would be slower than a normal 4 or 8GB one.

Thanks all for your advice.