preferred linux distro for workstation usage?

The real question I would guess is why choose any Distro if you really
don't like it?
No one is forcing you to choose any of them.

The great thing about 'Open Source' is, if you are willing to invest
yourself in it, it
can grow into anything you want.

Most of us are willing to accept the efforts of others, then whine
about what we don't
like.  Gosh, that starts sounding like Winders or Mac heads!

Most distributions are sill open to 'new packages' or 'meta packages'
that mix more logical
combinations of other packages.  If you really don't like it, consider
being part of the
solution, rather than the precipitate. [Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :]