Preferred linux distro for workstation usage?

If thats the question, Then why use Ubuntu over Debian, or Fedora or
PCLOS over Red Hat? If you are asking what specifically using a Mint
version changes over the Main Base version, there are many things.

Linux Mint has a tremendous out of the box experience, similar to Ubuntu
but much more aesthetically appealing, and comes with Flash, Java, and
media codecs that allow a new user to be working and have DVD playback
right out of the box.

Keeping to a Ubuntu or Debian Base allows for the use of the Ubuntu and
Deb repositories, as well as mints own repositories. MintInstall is
similar to Ubuntu's software manager, but allow allows users to assign
ratings and comments about an application, helping new users to make
decisions about the insane amount of software available.

The newest version of the MintMenu, the mintified version of the gnome
menu, includes automatic search of APT and the web. so if you are
looking for something, and its not installed, Apt will start kicking out
packages right in the main menu, and you can install via apt directly
from the menu.

The single biggest difference between Mint and any other distro is the
community. I will not talk bad about any other community, but I will
tell you that from my experience, Mint is top notch. Super friendly and
welcoming. tremendous support from knowledgeable persons. If you havent
already, check out the community. this might change your mind about
using 1 distro over another.

Thanks

Sean