preferred linux distro for workstation usage?

On 09/14/2010 08:09 AM, Jerry Natowitz wrote:
> Don't everyone laugh at once, but after 15 years, I still can't break=20
> the Slackware habit at home.  The external slapt-get package gives you =
a=20
> semblance of a package manager, but Slackware remains a lone wolf.  It =

> has a SunOS-like simplicity - everything in /etc/rc.d (it actually does=
=20
> setup a System V /etc/init.d tree - located under /etc/rc.d).
>
> I also run Ubuntu, but feel I should really go to vanilla Debian, with =
a=20
> Centos system or two for comparison.

In the past I have run vanilla Debian, but at the time, I felt that it
was becoming too old. I then switched to SuSE because their package
manager (RPM-based) was very similar to Debian's deselect. There is
absolutely nothing wrong with Slackware, and, it is a great tool for
System Admins to learn their craft. My first Linux distro was Ygdrasil.
I also ran SCO Xenix at home for a short while, but I developed a bad
taste for SCO (classic SCO BTW). Historically, Xenix was initially
developed by Microsoft, and I did work on it back in the 1980 time frame.=

One of the strengths (and weakness) of Linux and OpenSource is that you
do have a large number of choices.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846