[OT] Labeling wires

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> ...most of the labels that I originally put onto the cables came off.

How are you adhering the labels to the wires? Are you running the label
parallel to the wire? You might have better luck if you change your
technique.

I've had good success with a consumer-grade Dymo labeler if I attach the
labels perpendicular to the wire - like a flag on a flag pole. I repeat
the message twice on the label with some space in between. This way the
tape adheres to itself, which it does much better than sticking to the
wire jacket, and it isn't being forced to conform to a small bending
radius on its short dimension.

Not as neat as a label running parallel to the jacket, but more visible
from more angles.

> Looking into the Staples catalog, they have Rhino White Flexible
> Nylon labels and Rhino White Permanent Polyester labels in addition
> to the standard labels.

I see Rhino products (a Dymo brand, if I recall correctly) in electronic
distributor catalogs frequently, and I had always assumed that the
labels made for them only fit in their "pro grade" overpriced labeler.

> I do see in the catalog that there are TZ cable/write marking tapes for
> Brother Ptouch.

That might be worth a try.

Another option that might work for low-volume use are cable tags.
Specifically the kind shown here:
http://www.wiremarkersplus.com/sidewinder_cable_tags.html

which provide a flat, rectangular surface running parallel to the wire
jacket. You'd attach your existing Dymo labels to it. The tag attaches
to the wire using a "zip tie" (wire tie) mechanism.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA