some ruminations on saving money, power, etc.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 03:24:17PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> Shouldn't the Mythbox sleep from say 1AM to 7AM, when there is nothing
> to watch or record?

I was alive during the era when TV stations went off the air, but only
just barely.  While the odds of recording something are lower during
1AM to 6AM, they are far from nil. _Project Runway_ is fairly
likely to be recorded in an odd time like that, for instance.

There is a timed wakeup function on some motherboards; I haven't
tested it on this one, nor am I inclined to deal with it until I
get a free weekend.

> Anyone running a system that shuts on/off
> collections of their machines?  That sounds like the kind of job for
> one of those plug-in-to-the-wall computers.

Wake-on-LAN is what you're thinking of.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.