OSS for education

I know Linux and various OSS is used widely at Watkins College and
Vanderbilt University in the Nashville TN area.  The more money the
school has the more likely they seem to be to go to closed source solutions
mainly because of manpower requirements.  To me software seems to
cost about the same, it just depends on where you want to put your $$
(cheap software takes more tuning and understanding so people costs
go up.  'Professional software' tends to take less training, though some
is still needed, and is more likely to work to some extent out of the box
with much less tweaking, and often can go into 'production' use faster.)

The right mix is always hard to choose.  I have also been some places that
won't go to OSS because 'there is no one to sue'.

><> ... Jack
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart... Colossians 3:23