Help with sharing folder - string_to_sid error

Note: the questions below are rhetorical. The intent is to help point
you in a direction to help you solve the problem on your own. Test
thoroughly, and review all logs after each test. It's an exercise. In
the case of Winbind, you are basically testing for what _isn't_ the
issue, and when you've found all of that, you should have only the
problem remaining ;-).

On 10/06/2010 07:03 PM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Logins work fine.

And you don't see that string_to_sid message when you successfully login?

> I visit the smb.conf file to try and create an smb share of a mounted
> volume, and I get prompted for credentials.  No matter what I enter, I
> cannot gain access.

I'm assuming you've tried both Windows and a Mac unbound, and manually
entered valid credentials?

Does SSO/Kerberos work for non-SMB logins, such as Apache (you'll have
to configure it)?

If you unconfigure Kerberos and remove it from PAM, can you then login?

Also, just to be safe, make sure you clear your credentials everytime on
you PC: Start->Run->"rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr"

If all else fails, unconfigure everything AD and make sure you can
connect to your share with just local samba users.

Grant M.
--
Grant Mongardi
Senior Systems Engineer