ISPs allowing desktop Linux client to surf the web?

On Oct 27, 2010, at 2:58 PM, david_a_reed-fZsAqLoOLWc at public.gmane.org wrote:

> When I Google "Linux-friendly ISP" the only one I come up with is Eskimo.com in the state of Washington.  As far as I can tell, Comcast and Verizon require Windows or Mac on the client machine.  Is that on account of the hardware that they provide?

Incorrect.  Comcast and Verizon *support* Windows and Macintosh but that doesn't mean Linux does not work.  From the technical side, they don't care.  Also from the technical side, if you call with a problem then you'd better know how to convince the tech drone that you're using Windows or Macintosh if you can't get the drone to escalate you to backline support.

You may need Windows or Macintosh to run the on-site provisioning tools but that is a one-off for the modem and isn't necessarily required.  Depends on what your office is using for hardware and the software that ships with it.

--Rich P.