ISPs allowing desktop Linux client to surf the web?

On 10/27/2010 03:27 PM, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 03:09:49PM -0400, edwardp-mh2Nk+tgbQM at public.gmane.org wrote:
>  =20
>> I have been using Linux since 2003 (Thanks, Jerry!) with my Comcast=20
>> service, no problems at all using it.  Although when installing the=20
>> Comcast phone service, that will require Internet Explorer for the=20
>> technician to use when activating and configuring the new cable modem.=
 =20
>>    =20
> The trick around this is to use telephone activation. Just call comcast=
 and
> tell them you want to activate your new modem. They'll ask for the rele=
vant
> numbers (specific to your modem) and you'll be on your merry way withou=
> having to mess with their crappy activation software (which doesn't wor=
> under wine last time I checked).
>
> Sometimes the installer will even insist you need windows for activatio=
n;
> just remind them of the telephone option. They don't all remember that =
that
> is possible.
When I switched from POTS (eg. Comcast Digital Phone) to Comcast Digital
Voice, the technician did not need to use my computer with MSIE. Since
then Comcast sent me a new DOCCIS 3 modem for Internet while retaining
the older modem for phone only.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846